Hold the Veggies Please!

Growing up, my sister and I were like any other kid in that we hated eating vegetables. Though our parents, and anyone else who controlled what we ate at the time, tried to tell us how beneficial it was for our health, and how strong and smart it would make us, we still despised them. Who could blame us as neither broccoli nor spinach has the same appeal as a frosted donut or a cupcake with sprinkles. Eventually our parents decided to use this against us making us eat our vegetables before anything else on our plate and if not, then there would be no dessert. After a while this no longer worked so they tried other things like smothering the broccoli in cheese or salting corn on the cob. None of these seemed to work for me and I continued to hate most vegetables. As I grew up and was able to choose what I ate, vegetables were pretty much non-existent in my diet. Once for a family dinner, my mother made a dish called Corn soufflé and this was the first time that I would ask for seconds and thirds of a dish containing vegetables.  The reason for this is because you could barely taste the fact that it had corn in it; to me it was more like moist corn bread that someone had accidentally put whole sweet corn kernels into. Though this may not be the recommended medium for your daily serving of vegetables, its one of the few ways I was ever able to get mine.

Seeing that we loved the dish so much and it had a least some sort of vegetable in it, my mother began to make it on several other occasions. Eventually it became a sort of crowd favorite, as she would bring it to all sorts of events from potlucks to family reunions; and of course it became a regular dish in our family dinners. This is the reason I chose this recipe. In one of our readings we talked about how food can function as system of communication, and with corn soufflé I associate it with large gatherings and more importantly family meals, especially with extended members, which have become so rare and even more valuable as my sister and I become more independent of our parents.

CORN SOUFFLE CASSEROLE

1 (14 ¾ oz.) can creamed corn

1 (15 ¼ oz.) can whole corn kernels w/ liquid

1 stick of butter or margarine, softened

1 (8 oz.) container sour cream

2 eggs, slightly beaten

1 (8 oz.) box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix

optional: (grated nutmeg- just a pinch), 2 tablespoons of brown sugar

Combine all ingredients except con muffin mix in a bowl. Add corn muffin mix and stir to combine. Pour into a 2-quart baking dish. Bake at 350-degrees or until golden. Makes 12 servings

4 Responses to Hold the Veggies Please!

1. This recipe sounds delicious! My mom makes something extremely similar, but she melts cheese on the top. We will have to make this!

2. I used to feel the same way about vegetables as a kid too. I could never eat them by themselves! I also agree that this recipe looks scrumptious!

3. Corn souffle was one of the only vegetables I ate as a kid too, and this recipe sounds great.

4. It’s true– hard to argue with a frosted donut. But the foods that you don’t like at first, but then you grow to love, are often the ones you think back on. Do you remember the first time you had the corn souffle? Did your mother know that she was going to pull of a vegetable victory, do you think, or was she expecting you to reject it as you had all other veggies? And when she brought it to family events, did she tell the story of why she’d made it, or is that something that you just remember and think to yourself?